I'm still alive!  

Posted by Josh

So I think it’s been about a week since I wrote in my blog.

I’ve been extremely busy! School started on Monday and since then I’ve been going non-stop! Let me try to think and catch up on all that has gone on this week. Monday classes began at 900am. My first class is Japanese and I was really afraid that day! Hahaha! I didn’t want to go because I was afraid of learning things that I should have remembered! Hahaha! I liked the professor we had on Monday. She is really nice and she doesn’t speak English and wants us to speak only Japanese. I mean it is a Japanese class! Usually if someone doesn’t understand everyone in the class pretty much collaborates and explains in English! I love my class! Hahaha!

After class on Monday I just stayed around campus for a while since it was too early for me to go back home. I eventually ended up leaving around 545 so I could make it home in time for dinner. On Tuesday it was a holiday. I think it was something about the equinox. I guess it's the beginning of fall…I think Jacob said that…but I don’t remember. I was just happy I didn’t have to go to school! LOL! I was supposed to meet up with friends in Machida at noon but it turns out everyone was late that day. I actually had to wait for an hour! By the time some of my friends got there I was starving so we immediately had to go eat! We had some udon. I guess if I have to explain udon, it’s like ramen but the noodles are fatter. Ummm…it’s kind of hard to describe…just Google image search it! Hahaha! I love Google!

After eating we walked around in the stores and shopped. I didn’t buy anything I just looked around. I had a good time…although my shoes rubbed the skin on the back of my ankle raw and it hurt really badly. Oh yeah that day my knee was hurting too! Hahaha! I’m literally a walking disaster! Hahaha! When I came home that night I missed one of the stairs and fell down…errr fell up? I was going up the stairs not down but I fell…LOL! I’m a genius! One thing I’ve been noticing lately is that I’m staying up later and later…which could be a good thing I guess. I’m used to being up late like back home in America. That’s bad because I have to get up at 645am everyday to eat breakfast!

The next day I had to go to class again. I left my house at 745am and when I got to Fuchinobe, the station where I take the bus to school, I saw a long line for the bus. It wrapped around the whole area and people were waiting for like 20~30 minutes to catch a bus to school. Luckily I saw one of my friends in line when I was walking towards the end of the line (a block away LOL) and I cut! I felt bad but he told me not to! I only had to wait for 5~10 minutes. I made it to class on time and I was happy. That day I had two classes, Japanese and Fieldwork. For fieldwork we go out to schools and talk/play with students. I thought it would be a fun class until I actually went and listened to what we had to do.

So basically everyone in the class, excluding 5/6 people, is really proficient in Japanese. My professor doesn’t speak English and most of the people who are good at Japanese in the class are Chinese and Korean. So I felt really dumb and tried not to say anything the entire class. When you go out to schools, elementary/middle/high school, you have to talk to the kids about thing like pop-culture and economic problems in your home country. Okay, I can’t even do that good in English so how am I supposed to do it in Japanese?? Hahaha! My friend and I were both talking about what we had gotten ourselves into and how we were going to fail!

After that class I went and dropped it from my schedule! I mean I know it would be a good experience, but, I live with a host family so that is more than enough practice with Japanese for me! I don’t really care if I sound dumb to them since they probably expect it. But to embarrass myself in front of students…that's just bad. I know when people talk and do a bad job I judge…to a degree…so I’m sure the Japanese are the same way! Whatever, I changed so it’s ok!

On Thursday I left my house at my normal time, 745am, and when I got to Fuchinobe, the lines for the bus were even worse! To make matters worse, I didn't see any people I knew that day so I had to walk to the end of the line and wait. I arrived at that station at about 830am and I finally got on a bus at 855am! I was freaking out because I knew I was going to be late! I ran to class and was the last one in the room. I think I made it in there at 903am! I hate being late! Hahaha! That day we had Japanese for 3 hours! OMG! My brain was tired by the end of the class! Towards the end of class we went to buy our textbooks.

Ohhhhh…I forgot to mention that the day before I went to the ATM to pull out some money because I was running low. So I go to enter the amount I want to withdraw and I put in 90,000 yen. I couldn't remember how much $90USD was for one reason or another. So I’m standing there staring at the ATM thinking and I realized how much I was going to take out, or at least thought I was going to take out, and quickly changed it! I thought it was going to be $9,000USD but it turns out it was only $900. That’s still a lot though!

Today the wind has been blowing strong all day. It’s kind of nice but at the same time kind of annoying. So I was standing outside at school by some trees talking to my friends and then all of a sudden a strong gust blows and a piece of tree flies out of nowhere and slams into my face! It actually did hurt, but it was funny! Hahaha! We had a Japanese exam today. It was kind of intense but I think I did ok. After the test I waited for my friends Lulu and Sarah and went back to their apartments and waited till 4pm for my next class. My last class was boring, especially when we were reading an article that had a lot of big words in it. I was getting really tired! LOL! I can't think anymore so I’m going to stop here. I know I forgot a lot of details, but I’m exhausted from today! I want to sleep! LOL! Goodnight!

This entry was posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 at Friday, September 26, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 comments

I WAS BEGINNING TO WONDER???!!! WOW what a week you have had. Do I need to test you on conversions to the USD??? Jim did the same thing when he went to France last time and ended up spending TWICE as much as he thought he did!!LOL So the purse he brought me back was realllllly expensive LOL! Sounds like you need to make it to the bus earlier in order to get to your destination promptly...get used to it, winter is on the way and it will take even longer LOL!! Glad to hear you getting around well and FINALLY writing again! You almost ruined my morning coffee!LOL I had nothing to read...Hey,I was at a dinner party and Colleen's son is a big IT guy and I was asking him the best way to communicate with you and his girlfriend said to use SKYPE. She uses it every day to deal with things all over the country (she works for EBAY) and she said it ROCKS!! Just need a headset with a microphone...can also add a web cam and BAM..instant hookup for FREE!!! I am looking into it for your mom and maybe even myself to talk to you once in a while. Glad to see you back at the blog keeping us all up to date with you...Love ya!!! Di

September 26, 2008 at 5:41 PM

Hey, good to see a fresh post! LOL! You're blogs are always interesting and entertaining. Ha! Man, I think you may be more accident prone then me! I've fallen UP the stairs many, many times and I can just imagine with your daily stairs of death. Reading about your Fieldwork class was hilarious. I can see how that would sound like a fun class but then be somewhat stressful. Ha!! I think I could talk about pop-culture, (in English only), but US economy would be pretty easy...how do you say, "sucks" in Japanese? HA!

September 27, 2008 at 3:14 PM

My coffee is getting cold.......

October 5, 2008 at 5:57 PM

Post a Comment